What’s On? How to Spend Australia Day in Byron Bay
Australia Day 2020 falls on Sunday 26 January, but it’s observed on Monday 27 January—giving most people a day off. So, it’s the perfect opportunity to schedule a long weekend holiday in Byron Bay. Combine sun, surf and the celebration of our national holiday into your plans.
From breakfast events and charity paddle boarding, to BBQs and concerts. It’s all go for Australia Day here in Byron Bay.
Come and join in the fun. We’ve detailed a couple of events happening in Byron Bay for Australia Day but there’s heaps more going on. Check out the full list of Australia Day community events held over the weekend in and around Byron Bay.
Australia Day Paddle – Sunday January 26
Image source: www.byronboardpaddle.com.au
Byron Board Paddle is an annual event that happens each January when more than 1,000 surfers paddle all the way from Wategos Beach to the Byron Bay Surf Lifesavers Club (SLSC) located on Main Beach. It is not an ordinary Byron Bay event. Byron Board Paddle celebrates Australia Day and the organisers, as well as surfers, participate for charity.
Byron Bay SLSC guarantees water safety and provides a BBQ and refreshments at the club.
Registration on the day will last from 8 am to 9 am at the Byron Bay Surf club and from 8 am – 10 am at Wategos Beach.
You can also register online here.
The Electrifying Bulls – Sunday, January 26
Image source: EventBrite
The Electrifying Bulls are putting on a free concert at the Byron Bay Golf Club, providing summer sounds for the Australia Day celebration. This is a great opportunity to hear all the songs you love but don’t often hear live. So grab a bunch of mates and relax in stunning surroundings with food and drink available on-site. A bonus is that it’s just a 10 minute drive to the Golf Club from Broken Head Holiday Park but you will need a designated driver if you plan on a few cold ones.
More Australia Day Events on Sunday 26 January:
Breakfast in the Park – Brunswick Heads
- Time: 7.30am to 10am
- Where: Housie Tent, Banner Park, Brunswick Heads
- Details: BBQ breakfast $5, music and singalongs. Thanks to the combined services of Brunswick Valley – Rotary, Quota, Lions and Brunswick Surf Lifesaving Club
Breakfast in the Park – Byron Bay
- Time: 7am to 10am
- Where: Main Beach, Byron Bay – Next to the Byron Bay Surf Club
- Details: BBQ breakfast, live entertainment. Thanks to Rotary Club of Byron Bay.
Survival Day – Byron Bay
- Time: 11am to – 2.30pm
- Where: Apex Park, Byron Bay
- Details: Celebrating cultural survival through dance, music, song, story, art and weaving. Thanks to The Sisters for Reconciliation, Cavanbah Reconciliation Group and Bunyarra Culture Collective.
Aussie BBQ – Ocean Shores
- Time: 3 to 6pm
- Where: Ocean Shores Public School, Shara Boulevarde, Ocean Shores
- Details: Free sausage sizzle, giant lamington, Aussie singalong and Mullet Throwing championship with prizes for all age categories including preschool. Thanks to Ocean Shores Community Association.
Check out the full list of Australia Day community events held over the weekend.
BBQ at Wategos Beach
If you prefer a relaxing Australia Day picnic with family or friends then iconic Wategos Beach is a lovely place to hang out for the afternoon. You can fire up any of the free public barbecues and have a nice lunch on a nearby picnic table while enjoying the sea view. If you like surfing be sure to bring your board or just enjoy an ocean dip. If you’re lucky, you might get a chance to be greeted by the beach’s resident dolphins.
Australia Day Accommodation
If you’re looking for pleasant and affordable Byron Bay accommodation for Australia Day we can help you out.
Contact us to book your stay now, we look forward to seeing you on Australia Day!