5 Tasty Camping Sandwiches for Snacks or Meals
When you’re camping, a vegemite sandwich might satisfy your hunger but it isn’t the most exciting of options. A tasty sandwich is a portable snack or quick and easy camping meal, whether you’re heading out for a hike or cycle, or too tired to cook. With a few simple ingredients you can whip up a nutritious lunch, dinner or snack in a flash.
Let’s check out some camping sandwiches you and your fellow campers can make!
1. Toasted Deli Melt Sub
Image Source: Sangwiches are more than sandwiches
A fast way to feed a group of friends or family members is to make this camping sandwich that serves 8 people at once. You can easily bring ingredients from home, or buy locally in Byron Bay.
- 1 loaf french bread, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
- ¾ cup of mayonnaise
- 8 slices deli turkey breast or ham
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 8 slices cheese
- 6 slices tomato
- Put chipotle and mayonnaise into a bowl and mix together.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise, place under grill until toasted.
- Spread bottom half with chipotle sauce/mayo mix then layers of turkey, bacon and top with cheese.
- Grill again lightly until the cheese begins to melt.
- Give it a freshness kick with tomatoes and lettuce.
- Cut into 8 sandwiches and serve immediately or wrap to takeaway.
Recipe source: Landolakes
2. Cheese Toastie
Image Source: Cheese Toasty
Nothing can be simpler than making a “Cheese Toastie.” With just a few simple ingredients you can have a yummy melt in your mouth dinner and still have time to enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset.
- Sliced bread
- Sliced cheese such as tasty cheese
- Optional – add anything you like for extra calories and nutrition – ham, fresh or sundried tomato, grilled capsicum, fried courgettes, etc.
- Butter the pieces of bread and then flip them around so the butter is on the outside.
- Place your cheese and any desired fillings on the bread.
- After warming up a frying pan, put the sandwich in it and then cook it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip it over and cook the other side until both sides are toasted.
Recipe source: Travellers Autobarn
3. Chicken Meatball Sub
Image Source: Pixelated Crumb
This camping sandwich might require a little bit more effort, but believe us it will be worth it. To save time you could always prepare a big batch of these juicy meatballs at home, freeze them, transport in an Eski and pop them in the freezer at your campground accommodation. Then just wrap up meatballs, hot sauce and cheese and you’ve got yourself a delectable camping meal!
- 1 loaf subway style bread
- 1 kg of chicken mince
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup blue cheese, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup hot sauce (sweet chilli sauce/buffalo sauce)
- Blue cheese dressing
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Combine onion, garlic, parsley, ground chicken and blue cheese in a medium-size bowl. Then season with pepper and salt. Mix well. Form into 15 meatballs.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan and warm it up over medium heat. Now place the meatballs one by one.
- Cook the meatballs for 3 to 4 minutes while turning them to make each side golden brown.
- Arrange meatballs on the foil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- When the meatballs look all the juicy and delicious, add butter to the plan. Next, add the hot sauce and whisk it all together.
- Add the meatballs to the hot sauce to coat.
- Cut roll down the top and spread blue cheese dressing to the insides.
- Add meatballs and extra dressing and hot sauce.
Recipe source: Pixelated Crumb
4. Italian Crazy Bread Sandwich
Image Source: Little Things
This camping sandwich ensures there will be no leftovers. However, if you are camping with a number of people, you might consider making one huge Italian sandwich so all of you get fed.
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 packages salami
- 12 slices cheese
- Slice the bread and divide into 12. It’s important not to slice all the way through to leave something to hold the filling.
- Combine garlic powder, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, mayo, onion powder together in a bowl.
- Add a piece of cheese into each bread cut. Stuff salami into each cut.
- Wrap in tin foil and bake at 180C for 25 to 30 minutes until the cheese is all melted and the outsides of the sandwich is a bit crispy. Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe source: Little Things
5. Egg & Mayo Sandwich
Image Source:Travellers Auto Barn
This camping sandwich list wouldn’t be complete without an egg & mayo sammie. These are quick and easy to make and suitable for any camping meal; as well as being kid and vegetarian-friendly. Additionally, eggs are nutritious and a quality energy booster.
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and finely chopped or mashed
- 1/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced white or whole-grain bread
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise and mashed egg.
- Spread bread with butter.
- Add lettuce leaves, now add the egg mixture on top.
- Cover it with a second slice of bread and you are ready to go!
Recipe source: Travellers Autobarn
Book Your Camping Accommodation at Broken Head Holiday Park
There are some sandwiches here that need a bit of the kitchen work, so booking a deluxe beach cabin is a good idea. Alternatively, we have a fully equipped camp kitchen with a fridge/freezer if you want to come camping with a tent or pop up trailer. We look forward to seeing you soon!