What’s On? Splendour in the Grass 20-22 July
Unfortunately all the tickets are sold out and the resale tickets are exhausted for the super popular Splendour in the Grass, 20-22 July. The festival, held every year at the North Byron Parklands, sold out in less than 30 minutes.
If you’re lucky enough to have a ticket to the weekend concert or even a one-day ticket, but didn’t snag a camping ticket or didn’t want to pay more for it, then you might be looking for a place to stay. If you’d like to stay somewhere outside of the busy festival crowds or main centre of town, head over to the Broken Head Holiday Park where you can camp out or rent a beach shack for the long weekend.
Also, you should take advantage of the bus service that runs between the festival and several areas in the Byron Bay area, including downtown Byron Bay and Suffolk Park (close to Broken Head).
There is a reason that Splendour in the Grass surged in popularity over the last 17 years, and that’s because the festival attracts big-name international musicians such as Kanye West, Coldplay, Lily Allen, Outkast, 360 and Empire of the Sun.
This year’s headliners include Kendrick Lamar, Lorde and Vampire Weekend. Also, there are lots of other exciting groups playing over the three days, such as Khalid, The Wombats, CHVRCHES, Miguel, Franz Ferdinand and MGMT. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg—check out the full Splendour in the Grass line up to see who is playing when so you can plan your weekend.
Other Festival Happenings
If you don’t jive with the music on the stage at any given time during the three days, it’s the perfect time to check out all the other things going on at the Splendour in the Grass sideshows.
Splendour in the Grass sideshows:
- Tipi Forest: Dance the day and night away while in this popular attraction at the festival. A variety of DJs and music producers will spin the tunes over the three days.
- Global Village: Head over here to experience workshops in yoga and dance, morning meditations, circus tricks, cabaret, dance performances and so much more. Work with our original custodians, enjoy pampering by the massage therapists or get lost in the silent disco.
- The Bohemian Lounge: This area is dedicated to allowing visitors to experience the Byron Bay culture with daytime workshops like yoga, dance, healing and poetry and nighttime offerings such as cabaret performances, poetry jams and jazz concerts.
- Splendour Comedy Club: Make your sides hurt from laughter when you hang out any of the nights of the festival at the comedy club, which will feature four shows, starting on Thursday night and featuring more than 20 comedians from all over Australia over the weekend.
- The World Stage: Now in its third year at Splendour in the Grass, the World Stage will continue to showcase contemporary world music groups from Australia and the international stage.
- Splendour Forum: This part of the festival weekend allows you to listen to everything from prominent and interesting thinkers and politicians to musicians and activists in various formats such as live discussion, panels, debates, interviews, Q&As and more. It is open from 10am to 4pm daily.
- Smirnoff Presents The Wilds: This year, Smirnoff offers: “By day, it’s a laid back chilled space filled with natural beauty where you can explore, experience and connect. When darkness falls and the light fades, it takes on the feeling of a wild woodland with killer DJ’s at full volume.”
- The Science Tent: In its second year, the Science Tent will offer up interesting presentations, musical performances and interactive experiences–all that will connect back to science.
- Red Bull Music (Thursday night only!): Available free to three-day ticket holders, this addition (in its second year) to Splendour in the Grass, Red Bull Music will kick off the weekend festival with up-and-coming performers such as The Formula, Hoops and UV Boi.
Keep in mind these rules for the weekend
Make sure to abide by the festival regulations while you attend the excellent music shows, and you will have a great time. Things like outside alcohol, metal or plastic water bottles, chairs, video and audio recording devices (like a GoPro) except for mobile phones and no animals are not allowed. For a full list of banned items, check here and for festival FAQs, check here.
Stay at Broken Head away from the busy festival grounds
If you’re coming for the Splendour in the Grass festival, then you’re in luck. You’ll hit the Byron Bay area during the low season, which means you’ll enjoy the lowest rates for all of our accommodation options: from un-powered campsites, to beach houses. So go ahead and book your stay with us at Broken Head Holiday Park and rest easy knowing you got a great rate for your holiday stay—in fact, why not extend your stay past the festival and enjoy some more Byron Bay activities after the crowds leave? You’ll be glad you did!
Featured photo source: https://www.facebook.com/splendourinthegrass/ and photo by Stephen Booth