Markets & Shops: Best Places to Shop Under 1 Hour From Byron Bay
If you’re on a Byron Bay holiday and can swing some extra time, we highly recommend making a few side trips. The region holds a treasure trove of unique, fun and quirky small towns, many less than an hour’s drive from your Byron Bay base.
Of course, when you’re making these trips, it’s natural to want to check out the Byron Bay area for shops and markets – perhaps for a souvenir or just a funky item to accent your home or wardrobe. Well, you won’t be disappointed when you venture out to nearby towns like Bangalow, Brunswick Heads or Mullumbimby.
Below are highlights from these nearby towns, all worthy of checking out while on your Byron Bay holiday.
Bangalow, about 15 minutes or so from Byron Bay, always lands on lists of excellent places to shop while on a Byron Bay holiday. This little town seems to be brimming with fun, unique shops in addition to playing host to one of the best Byron Bay markets in the area.
If you happen to arrive on the last Sunday of the month, you might think Bangalow is more crowded than you’d expect, but it’s only because shoppers are in town to hit up the popular Bangalow Market. One advantage of coming on this day is being able to catch the shuttle bus that operates between Bangalow and Byron Bay (only an option on market day).
However, if you’d rather visit this quaint village on a less crowded day, it still has enough reasons to visit and enjoy an excellent Byron Bay shopping experience.
Here are a few recommendations:
- Design Bank– This shop sells men’s and women’s brand name attire, labels like Deus Ex Machina, Jimmy Stuart and Ben Sherman. There’s a cool factor, too, with its location in the old Commercial Bank on Byron Street.
- Don’t Tell Mama – Feel better about your choices when you purchase wares from this eco conscious shop that features clothes made from hemp, bamboo, organic cotton and silk. It also has home products.
- Heath’s Old Wares – A quirky shop where you can find antiques, collectibles and other secondhand items.
- Island Luxe – This swanky boutique is highly recommended on any shopping list for Byron Bay holiday visitors. It features clothes, jewellery (such as the popular Jewels by Jacqueline) and house wares.
- Lazybones– A top bedding line for Anthropologie, Lazybones has created quite a following since it began in 2000. Features women’s clothing and sleepwear as well as bedding.
- Our Corner Shop – Don’t miss out on this shop as it claims to be a “modern take on the traditional general store.” Locals recommend checking out the jewellery cabinet.
Located about 20 minutes from Byron Bay, this town has grown in the last couple of decades to be an excellent side trip for couples to families on a Byron Bay holiday. Here you’ll find a few must-stops for shopping:
- Fabulous Mrs. Fox –An eclectic assortment of vintage and new items, such as textiles, clothes, books and even toys, all curated by the owners who have lived abroad.
- Peace by Piece – Owner Amanda Coutts makes every shoe herself with anything from leather to lace. The unique shoes all have the phrase “Tread lightly on this earth” inscribed on the soles.
- Resould – Stop by this store if you enjoy vintage, mid-century modern pieces from lighting to art to furniture.
Dubbed the ‘Biggest Little Town in Australia’, Mullumbimby is a charming town just 15 minutes from Byron Bay and worth a visit for some great food and fun shops. Here are some recommendations:
- Art Piece Gallery– This gallery, which supports local artists, strives to promote accessible art. You can works from a $6 bowl to a $3,000 painting.
- Reclaimed in Mullum – Check out this funky shop for secondhand furniture, clothes and home wares. Plus, you can get a massage while you’re here!
Book your Byron Bay holiday base at Broken Head!
Take a summer holiday and come stay in the Byron Bay area so you can enjoy all the region has to offer—beaches, good food, fun in the sun and, of course, great shopping! Picking budget accommodation in Byron Bay like Broken Head Holiday Park provides the perfect, and affordable, base to be able to travel around the Byron Bay area and see all it has to offer. So check out our accommodation and book your holiday now!